Continuing the discussions you and your partner are having about your sexual histories, let’s turn this week to the topic of sexual identity.
Your sense of yourself as a sexual person develops over time. Some of you have always had a clear understanding of who you are and what your sexual interests are. Others may still be struggling to figure that out. You have a personal journey in getting clear about your sexual orientation, gender identity, and sense of your eroticism. Your path may have been direct and short, or it may have taken a more roundabout route. Learn more about the unfolding of your identity by discussing these prompts:
- What was it like for you as you became aware of yourself as a sexual person?
- What did you know about your sexual orientation and gender? How did you feel about it?
- How has your understanding of yourself changed over time?
- How did you come to understand these aspects of yourself?
- How did you feel about your body? How do you feel about it now?
- What issues arose around you figuring out how you identify in terms of gender and orientation?
- How were you supported, or not, as you learned about who you are?
- How has this exploration shaped your experience of sex and your expectations of what it can be?
- How might you feel limited or affected by your identity?